Old 06-03-2015, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default lentils and pulses

On 3/5/2015 10:23 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 6/03/2015 2:11 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Forgot to add , what you're calling crumbles is probably the same
dish we
call a crisp . Sliced fruit covered with a mixture of oatmeal , flour ,
brown sugar , and butter and baked hot enough that the topping gets
browned
and crispy - thus the name .

Bingo! It is the same thing is an apple crisp/crumble according to
Wikipedia although given the two photos that Wikipedia has put in to
illustrate the dish, they should have foudn someone who could actually
cook because both of those look like a very lame effort :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_crisp

But form there i followed the link to 'crumble' and there it says that a
'crumble' is also called a Brown Betty! Not in my universe!

Lots of Usian southerners call them Brown Betty, we never did but we're
more south westerners than southerners. My mother-in-law, from Virginia,
made Brown Betties a lot.