Old 10-03-2015, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
snotbottom snotbottom is offline

Default Gardening and climate change

I'm in the inland northwest. Far different than the coastal areas or western valleys. The Cascade Mountains stop most of the rain so we only average about 12" per year, most of that occurring in the fall and winter when the prevailing winds shift slightly to bring the weather in around the mountains. We get four distinct seasons, with the summers betting very hot and dry, so irrigation is critical, and very little water is wasted. Winters are normally just a few degrees below freezing, although we have dropped to double-digit negatives a few times.

I grow quite a variety of stuff. Plenty of paste tomatoes every year to put up sauces (spaghetti, salsa, and whatever else inspires me), so plenty of peppers and other stuff to go into the sauces too. Because of the heat, blossom end rot can be troublesome at times. I grow my own herbs to use well.. In fact, everything I use in my preserving I grow myself or buy from someone local.

I also grow a lot of winter squash and root crops that I keep through the winter. One of the happiest memories I have is making borscht for the first time and finding that the family loved it! It's the only reason I'm allowed to grow beets now (although I do sneak in a batch of pickles every year).. Speaking of pickles, I also grow cukes to make hot dill pickles and my grandmothers lime pickle that are so crunchy and sweet.

We have an assortment of fruit trees and vines and bushes that we freeze, dry, or otherwise preserve. I made Concorde grape pie filling 2 years ago for the first time and even though it's difficult, it will be made every year from now on. So delicious!

I grow fingerling potatoes and leeks. I dont generally grow other potatoes or onions because those are readily available around here at a price lower than I could ever grow them for. Many times you can find a grower that will let you go into the fields after they've harvested them and pick what's left and that price is hard to beat. Sweet corn is available for a nickel an ear when its in season, so I don't grow that either, but I do grow popcorn and the kids think that's a blast

In finishing up some of what's left in the cellar, I just made a couple more batches of red onion jam. So good on roasts, hamburgers, or whatever. This is also one that gets made every year.

There's a lot more that goes on around here, but perhaps I'll share more as time goes on.