Old 11-03-2015, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Feeling Better Now

On 3/11/2015 3:51 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 12/03/2015 5:34 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
Yesterday, the tomato seedlings started comnig up, making me feel
better about the gardening year to come. As of this morning, 11
of the 18 pots have seedlings up.

Time to sort through the seed packets and see what else is ready
to go. And I need to pick a place in the garden for the first
planting of peas (hopefuly Saturday).

Cngratualtions. :-)) Only other gardeners can ever really understand
that deep satisfaction that a few small emerging spots of green in a pot
can bring.

Same here, we're chomping at the bit to get something planted soon. If
it doesn't rain tomorrow we shall, at least, plant carrots. Tomatoes,
sweet chiles, chamomile, all doing well under the grow light but still
at least a week from planting those.

The pear tree still has blossoms on it but I suspect no pears as it has
been to cold for the bees to get around to fertilizing the blossoms. May
still be a chance as there is warmth and sunshine predicted for
tomorrow. I may live long enough to see pears. Watching the fig and the
kumquat carefully, fig should be blossoming before to very long but the
kumquat is a long way from its blossom time.

The sauerkraut is smelling, well, smelly as it should, no signs of mold
as yet. Perhaps I shall finally make sauerkraut that doesn't go bad just
before being ready. I might be able to can about four quarts of the
stuff if all goes well.

The mayhaw trees are in full bloom and we finally have a contact who
says we can have all we want as she doesn't like them or the jelly made
from them. I'm having visions of many, many jars of mayhaw to carry us
over the next winter and longer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhaw