Old 13-03-2015, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Rabbits

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Our bungalow is adjacent to a field that always has rabbits in it. We
see them every day. Their warrens come up to and under our stone
garden walls, and we get rabbit holes in the flower beds adjacent to
those walls. Rabbits regularly come into the garden. I see droppings
on the lawn, and at this time of year, the youngsters are about. They
disappear back down the holes sharpish if they're disturbed. But they
only ever seem to eat the grass in the lawn, and a few weeds between
the patio slabs. I've never seen evidence of them eating any of the
plants. OTOH we don't grow vegetables or salad crops.

Farmers round here will completely surround a field with netting if
they've got stuff attractive to rabbits growing in it. Usually it's
the fine pea netting with centimeter holes, supported on bamboo canes.
The netting is about a meter wide; two-thirds of it is vertical, the
other third lies flat on the ground on the outside of the area being
enclosed, and pegged down every few feet or so, to stop the rabbits
digging their way under it. Apparently they don't have the sense to
start digging a little way back. It's a lot easier to do the fence
that way, rather than trying to bury it, and if you just have it
straight down to the ground, the rabbits will push or dig their way
under it.

Chris - thanks very much for this, which definitely looks useful.

Thanks also to the other respondents: it is all useful grist to the mill!

John