Old 14-03-2015, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Gardening and climate change

On 14/03/2015 2:26 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/12/2015 9:50 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 13/03/2015 1:40 AM, I previously wrote wrote:
I toss tortoise droppings into my flower and shrub beds. Cleopatra (an
ancient beauty) leaves pleanty from April to October. Right now, she is
still hibernating.

So what do tortoise droppings look like? And have you ever posted any
pics of Cleo online so I could see her beauty for myself? And how
ancient is this girl?

They look like very dry dog droppings, but Cleo is a vegetarian.

:-)) They probably look like long kangaroo poos which are also very dry
but nugget like in shape.

We
think she is now some 50-60 years old. She was mature when we "adopted"
her in 1977. See my http://www.rossde.com/Cleo.html.

We do not really own Cleopatra; she belongs to the state of California.
We are merely housing her. It is illegal to buy or sell desert
tortoises. While it is illegal to remove them from their native
habitate, it is also illegal to return them since that might spread
disease.

David, thank you so much for posting that link. It is a very
interesting article and I don't recall every hearing anything aobut Nth
American turtles before with the exception of snapping turtles.

Gardening with a shelled vegetarian around must be a rather interesting
exercise.

We have snake necked turtles in our creek but watching them is not an
easy thing to do as they disappear at the first sight of a human.
Luckily our creek is between steep banks so if I sneak up and slowly
slowly shove my had over the sight line I can see them. We often see
them on the roads too and will often stop to pick them up and move them
before some moron runs them over. they do the most amazinlyg stinky pee
so it requires very careful picking up nd putting the turtle in a
directionw here no pee come sin contact with either clothes or skin.

Does your turtle do stinky pees or is the smelly pee of our local
turtles a defence mechanism would you think?