Old 14-03-2015, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
wg_2002 wg_2002 is offline

Default Feeling Better Now

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 21:34:16 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

Drew Lawson wrote:
Yesterday, the tomato seedlings started comnig up, making me feel
better about the gardening year to come. As of this morning, 11 of the
18 pots have seedlings up.

Time to sort through the seed packets and see what else is ready to go.
And I need to pick a place in the garden for the first planting of
peas (hopefuly Saturday).

Today I built a "mini-greenhouse" onto the southeast facing wall of my
house , and moved all of my seedlings out there . Most of my stuff was
planted on 1/24 , and some of the tomatoes are almost 8" tall ... last
frost is almost a month away . I think I might have planted a bit
earlier than I needed to , but better that than have puny weak plants
when the time comes .
I also moved the outside probe of my indoor-outdoor thermometer into
the
greenhouse so I can monitor overnight temps . I might have to put some
heat out there if we get another cold snap , I have way too much time
invested to lose it all now .

That sounds really cool. I'd love to see a pic. It does sound like you
started a bit early but it shouldn't be too bad. The nice thing about
tomatoes is if you plant them deep they will form roots all along the main
stem. Most plants just get pythium and then die but not tomatoes.

Did you start any other seeds besides tomatoes?