Old 14-03-2015, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Feeling Better Now

wg_2002 wrote:
On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 21:34:16 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

Drew Lawson wrote:
Yesterday, the tomato seedlings started comnig up, making me feel
better about the gardening year to come. As of this morning, 11 of
the 18 pots have seedlings up.

Time to sort through the seed packets and see what else is ready to
go. And I need to pick a place in the garden for the first
planting of peas (hopefuly Saturday).

Today I built a "mini-greenhouse" onto the southeast facing wall
of my house , and moved all of my seedlings out there . Most of my
stuff was planted on 1/24 , and some of the tomatoes are almost 8"
tall ... last frost is almost a month away . I think I might have
planted a bit earlier than I needed to , but better that than have
puny weak plants when the time comes .
I also moved the outside probe of my indoor-outdoor thermometer
into the
greenhouse so I can monitor overnight temps . I might have to put
some heat out there if we get another cold snap , I have way too
much time invested to lose it all now .

That sounds really cool. I'd love to see a pic. It does sound like
you started a bit early but it shouldn't be too bad. The nice thing
about tomatoes is if you plant them deep they will form roots all
along the main stem. Most plants just get pythium and then die but
not tomatoes.

Did you start any other seeds besides tomatoes?

Yes , I also have Serrano and sweet peppers and Marigolds . I planted
Anaheims and Jalapenos that didn't sprout so they've been replanted with
hopes of better results . I planted one each acorn squash and pumpkin as a
germination test for saved seeds which are still cookin' along too .
I have 5 varieties of tomatoes , San Marzano , Roma , Beefsteak , Mortgage
Lifters and some cherry tomato mutts . I have a long list of stuff to be
direct seeded , including squashes , zukes , cukes , pole beans , okra ,
several spices and probably others that I can't recall offhand that's what
lists are for ... . I even made a diagram of where everything goes .
I'll get some pics as soon as the rain quits and post to my photobucket .
Hoping our new camera arrives soon , a large step up from the point and
shoot cams we've had . Nothing wrong with a P&S , but I've been lusting for
a SLR for years now . Ma gave the go ahead to get one with part of the tax
refund , so I ordered a Nikon DSLR kit .
--
Snag
I think she wants the camera more than I do ...