Old 16-03-2015, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Rabbits

On 12/03/2015 20:54, Another John wrote:
OK OK I know the most popular answer will be: "You can't" but
nonetheless: how do we control rabbit ingress?

My new employer has about an acre of garden, in which we're about to
create a new perennial border. The garden is out in the country, and is
bordered on one side by the road and the old (gappy) hedge, and on the
other sides by a standard post and rail fence. Across the fence is a big
field (10 acres?) which occasionally has a few sheep in, but is mainly
used for hay (I think).

Rabbits aren't a big pest yet in this garden, but they are around. Is it
possible to dissuade them?

Chicken wire dug in about 4" at the bottom of the fence works well for
me. I did it after they decimated my lettuces one year.

I was thinking of nailing chicken wire around the entire perimeter. I
know that they burrow, but I figured maybe they only do that when
there's a vegetable garden to be got at.

Needs to go under the ground so they can't just dig a bit and then
squeeze under. They fit comfortably through pig netting.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown