Old 17-03-2015, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Rabbits

In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:

On 17/03/2015 8:46 AM, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 15/03/2015 07:26, Fran Farmer wrote:
so does fumigating their burrows by shoving a hose onto the end of an
exhaust pipe of a leaded petrol car and shoving the end down the burrow
and then closing over all holes with dirt and leaving the car running
for a while. These days that means you have to find an old car where
lead is added to modern fuel

It's not the lead, it's the carbon monoxide that does for them. Anything
without a catalytic converter will do - which includes old diesels as
well as petrol. A lawnmowers would probably do - although you'd have to
run a lawnmower an awfully long time to get much exhaust.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that it was the lead in the fuel - I was
trying to say that older petrol engined cars are the ones to use.

Diesel engined vehicles are, for some reason,deemed to be 'useless'. I
don't know whether that is just an old farmer's tale but it's always
older petrol cars that have the lead to added to the fuel that are used
regardless of any diesel powered vehicles that might be on hand.

I've used the old petrol car exhaust trick on rat burrows round my chook
pens using my 1952 Morris Minor. That worked for quite a while.

I'm girding my loins to do a rabbit burrow on the edge of our 'lawn'
where the blasted bunnies have dug a warren between 2 rocks. There are
a few fox poos round the entrance and at least 8 rabbits have been shot
at dusk on the 'lawn'. But it needs even more action taken. I'm
thinking an old Riley might be the way to go this time round.

Your garage sounds at least as interesting as your garden :-)

J.