Old 19-03-2015, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default citrus tree question

On 3/19/2015 9:32 AM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 3/15/2015 11:24 AM, Jenn wrote:
My husband has a couple of citrus trees in his green house, and they are
covered with scale insect. How does he get rid of the nasty things?

Long-term protection can be obtained with a soil drench containing
Imidacloprid. Although it is not approved for use on edibles, research
indicates it is harmless to mammals and birds. However, do not use it
during or prior to blooming since it is quite toxic to bees. If
blooming is expected within the next two months, I would wait.

I doubt Jenn's husband has bees in his green house, but possibly he has a
hive in there.

In some areas, greenhouses are opened to the outside as the weather
becomes mild. Bees would then visit the citrus in the greenhouse.

Pollination, however, is not required for citrus to form fruit. Seeds
in such fruit are even viable. This characteristic is called
"apomixis". Thus, my caution is to protect bees, not to promote fruiting.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see