Old 22-03-2015, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default 'Mater seedlings

Steve Peek wrote:
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 7:19:19 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Terry Coombs wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Some of mine (mortgage lifters) have leaves that are kinda
yellowish .
Tomato plants are gross feeders though and pull nutrients out of the
media at an alarming rate. Also the claimed 3 months may be
marketing...
If I see yellowing of (especially lower) tomato leaves it screams
out 'deficiencies' to me. Often nitrogen but sometimes iron /
magnesium. I add a good liquid fert with trace elements to their
water for a week or so and see if it helps, then take it from there.

Well , now my hot box smells like a fish market ... today I mixed
2/3 cup of fish emlsion with a gallon of water and gave everybody
1/3 cup of the mixture . I figured it couldn't hurt .
--
Snag

Wow! I normally mix a couple of tablespoons to the gallon. I hope it
doesn't burn.

A big part of the reason I used it is that it doesn't burn like other
stuff might . Followed up with a thorough watering today . Probably washed a
good part out , bet the soil under those sets will be fantastic for the
wildflowers I'll be planting there when the garden gets planted . I have
several bee-friendly plants that'll be going in at various places around the
property as soon as danger of frost is past .

--
Snag