Old 22-03-2015, 11:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default replanting a privet bush

On 3/22/2015 1:42 AM, micky wrote:
I have 5 privet bushes, in a U formation, which originally formed a
hedge, but they've been mistrimmed, especially the one in the middle.
It won't grow big enough to reach the ones next to it.

I'd like to dig that one up and plant a new one, which I figure will
eventually grow big enough.

How much do you think I have to dig up? I figure part of the root is
woody and will take a long time to rot, so how much of the root do I
have to dig out and replace with soil or topsoil or whatever?

Thanks

Generally, you should remove enough that it will make room for whatever
size pot the new plant comes in....fill hole with water first to make it
moist enough for new roots to grow. When I remove old roots, I either
pull them or, if too woody, get the pruning saw or loppers and cut roots
until the main chunk of wood is out. Buried smaller roots that die
should help keep the soil loose and provide some nourishment.