Old 22-03-2015, 02:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default replanting a privet bush

micky wrote:

I have 5 privet bushes, in a U formation, which originally formed a
hedge, but they've been mistrimmed, especially the one in the middle.
It won't grow big enough to reach the ones next to it.

I'd like to dig that one up and plant a new one, which I figure will
eventually grow big enough.

if the U formation is too narrow it may not be
an issue that replanting with a taller plant can
correct. all the work you may do may end up with
the same result.

if on the other hand there really is enough
room and the orientation isn't wrong for the
climate and light fall, it probably would be
faster to trim the neighboring plants to slope
down to the shorter plant so it can get enough
light to grow taller.

read up on pruning privet hedges properly
and don't let some hack do it without supervision.

songbird