Old 22-03-2015, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Trying to catch up

On 3/22/2015 1:24 PM, The Cook wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 09:08:35 -0500, Derald wrote:

The Cook wrote:

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 19:18:54 -0500, Derald wrote:

The Cook wrote:

Things are going very slowly this year. Partly the weather and partly
my back.
Lord knows, it's going slowly here, too, but largely due to
indolence, not to infirmity. Sorry to read that you're literally, "down
in the back" because I know that few things are more debilitating or
frustrating. Might be time to get those boxes up where no
bending/stooping is required.

Last year was the real looser. I was waiting for back surgery. When
I finally got to see the Neurosurgeon he mentioned physical therapy or
Epidual Steroid shots. I told him that I had already "been there,
done that" to both. Had the surgery and am much better but still have
to be careful about bending and lifting. Mostly I am trying to regain
strength since I was pretty much flat on my back from May to
September. Water exercise is really helping.

Gratifying to read that the surgery appears to have been
successful. We with no back ailments cannot grok the debilitating
effect of even minor spine ailments. Add my "voice" to the chorus of
DON'T "OVERDO"!

Thanks for the encouragement. Rhubarb all done, at least the weeds
have been removed. Took 2 days. Now just waiting for the tomato and
pepper seeds to finish germinating and will then move them to larger
quarters. They are taking their own sweet time. I think that the
middle of April is average last frost here but do not plan to set
these out until the first part May. The weather has been so crazy
this year that I don't want to take a chance. I probably should start
the squash and cucumbers seed before too long. I am sure that I will
think of something else I should or want to plant.

Green beans are just breaking the surface here. We remembered to put the
stuff on them that helps speed things up. Radishes are up also. No sign
of cukes as yet but we have lots of lettuce, spinach, chard, etc. up and
growing. I have visions of big salads in the near future. The dawg
doesn't understand why we eat weeds when we have meat handy. Just looks
at what we're eating and quits begging. I think I hear a nap calling me
or is that just the dawg snoring?