Old 22-03-2015, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default citrus tree question

On 3/22/2015 3:55 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:21:04 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:27:37 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"

One can have citrus come back from scale and almost total leaf loss.
It can happen.

Boron

Sure you can, never suggested you can't. The more stresses you put on the
plant the less chance it will reach anything like its potential and the more
chance that one more stress will be its last.

If one is growing potted citrus, the "potential" is not anywhere near
to that of yard-planted however. Lowered expectations, shall we say.

Dwarf citrus in a very large pot will reach its potential. My dwarf
kumquat is covered with ripe fruit. By the time I finished eating the
2013 crop, the 2014 crop was already ripe. My dwarf 'Eureka' lemon has
more than 3 dozen ripe lemons, most as large as any I see in the
supermarket. This lemon tree also has flowers, baby lemons and maturing
green lemons. Both the lemon and kumquat are in flower pots that are 22
inches across at the top and 20 inches deep. Fortunately, citrus fruit
remains fresh on the trees for several months after ripening.

A note about 'Eureka' lemons: Unlike most fruits, 'Eureka' lemons have
no season. They are everbearing. You should expect to find flowers on
and off year round. At the same time, you should also expect to find
small and large green lemons and ripe lemons at the same time. If a
lemon tree loses all its leaves, that will severely impact its fruiting
ability.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see