Old 30-03-2015, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Problem with commercial compost

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:24:11 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

G Harman wrote

Janet wrote:

Provided you don't mind the mess drop the bag on its end from about two
feet up and the shock will break the stuff up pretty well.

I decant the whole sack into an old dustbin (for storage) and use a

I use a handfork if it needs to be broken up even finer;
and add grit to lighten it.

We fortunate enough last year to find a branch of Lidl selling off
some electric cement/plaster /paint stirrers for £5

That is so cheap, the ones in Screwfix are £100. You can buy the "blade" as
a tool for an electric drill for about £5. but would that be powerful enough
for compost.

The stirrer is 1400 watts and has a speed control so you can run it at
a slowish speed. I have used an electric drill in the past with a
similar tool but it was too fast and the compost got thrown out of
the bin. The drill was about 600 watt and struggled a bit so I
stopped before the electric smoke escaped..

I was quite flabbergasted when I saw the asking price and checked they
were actually labelled correctly before reaching the till, sometimes
think I should have got two.
The branch was the Ferndown ,Dorset one and I think it is one of those
where they agglomerate the unsold items from other branches and have a
final clearance, possibly with some repackaging as some customers of
both Aldi and Lidl are disrespectable in the way they examine
prospective purchases.

G.Harman