Old 01-04-2015, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Fabric Barrier and chemicals

T wrote:

Hi All,

I have to get rid of my lawn (water meters). I was going to
put down a 20 year fabric barrier and then rocks on top.

I grow food in two organic plots next to my lawn. Will
there be a chemical problem from the new fabric leaching
over into the food plots. (For health reasons of a family
member, the food I grow must be chemical free [organic]).

what is the landscape fabric made of?

if you suspect it won't be chemical free enough
you can use alternative fabrics (like perhaps
chemical resistant glass fiber fabric used in
making fiberglass)?

if it is too expensive to do the whole area then
perhaps you can put the more inert and expensive
fabric near the gardens and then use the more generic
fabric further out.

in sandy soil and an arid climate i think most
leaching is going to go downwards and not sideways.

overall, i think the exposures to chemicals are
much higher from indoor air, drinking water and
various other things used about the house than what
you might get from a garden veggie. rinse the dust
and bird poo off the veggies and you're fine.

songbird