Old 02-04-2015, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] giborah2015@gmail.com is offline

Default Tomatoes - breaking my oath

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 8:52:48 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 5:06:32 PM UTC-8, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

TIA

HB

UPDATE: Earlier inquiry led to tomato "Hank" which led to database "Folia".
Any of Hon. members dealt with "Folia"? Your experience?

TIA

HB

Search for sharp acid tomatoes ended in Canadian site

*****

"Tatiana's TOMATObase - Heritage Tomatoes - Tatiana's ...
tatianastomatobase.com/
July 2011. We are a Garden Watchdog Top 5 Tomato Seed company. ... Please buy seeds from Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Store to support our mission."

*****

After extensive email corresp. with patient Tatiana, (I emphasized my local growing conditions) I ordered 3 varieties with such charming names!

1. Grosse Lisse, (also recommended by some NG members)

2. Bulgarian, Tozala Egpu

3. Costuluto Fioretino Novoli

Will be fascinating to see what develops, providing enough germinate and all goes well. Due to my chronic dithering, it is late in our season (So. Coastal CA) to sow seeds instead of putting in plants from nursery, but whatthehey, live dangerously!

Question: I was suprised to see following envelope labels:

#1 from 2014 crop
#2 from 2013 crop
#3 from 2012 crop

Wondering if that means that #2 and #3 were unsuccessful so they're still
selling "older seeds.

HB