Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeßus[_9_] Jeßus[_9_] is offline

Default Wakehurst Place today

On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 09:54:19 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 01/04/15 23:55, wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 17:15:17 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers, photos
at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Nice. I love Magnolias, have tried to grow them here but the frosts
get the better of them.

The flowers or the plants themselves?

Certainly the flowers, but the couple of Magnolias I had have either
died, or died back to ground level and never grow back past that
stage. The few flowers I have had do not look properly developed
either, I suspect we simply run out of summer before the flowering
really gets going. The latter problem happens with many other plants
here too.

There are late spring or
summer-flowering ones which could be OK for you, depending on where you
are. Quite a few are hardy down to USA Zone 4 or 5.

Thanks Jeff, I will have to look into other varieties of Magnolia.
I am in Tasmania.
I just looked into this USA zone business, and it looks like I'm in
zone 2 or 3... more like zone 2 though, as I live in the mountains:
https://www.anbg.gov.au/gardens/rese...rch/zones.html