Old 06-04-2015, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis armandii RIP

In article ,
On 2015-04-05 16:07:53 +0000, Martin said:

Damn. I put one NOT against a wall, because I don't have any
walls large enough, and last winter did for it.

Ours survived again. They against a trellis away from a wall.

It's a bit tender so a cold snap might do it in, as will cold winds. In
chilly gardens, it could probably do with some frost protection.

Yup. My garden is cold and windy, but it was really far too much
for any of the wall spaces I have. And this winter, we had several
spells of cold winds ....

Interestingly, both Holboellia and Stauntonia were fine - largely
deciduous, but the stems have survived and are shooting. Also,
the former suckers from the roots - and how :-( - but neither
flower here, the former because of spring frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.