Old 06-04-2015, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Primroses

In article ,
sacha wrote:

I'd like to know why they turn into pink ones. There's a large bank at
the bottom of the hill leading up to us and it's covered with sheets of
primroses but in just a few areas there are some that have turned pink.
I've noticed it here and there in other lanes, too and they're in the
wild so not planted by a rogue gardener!

Cowslips do the same, only it's reddish. Plant inheritance is
mind-bogglingly complicated, but let's call it 'genes'. My
guess is that there is a combination of genes that induces the
red, and it is essentially a random variation. And, because it
is a combination, it can appear in populations of yellow ones,
and yellow ones can arise from the seed of red ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.