Old 06-04-2015, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Primroses

On 2015-04-06 14:48:57 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 14:39:10 +0100 (BST),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
sacha wrote:

I'd like to know why they turn into pink ones. There's a large bank at
the bottom of the hill leading up to us and it's covered with sheets of
primroses but in just a few areas there are some that have turned pink.
I've noticed it here and there in other lanes, too and they're in the
wild so not planted by a rogue gardener!

Cowslips do the same, only it's reddish. Plant inheritance is
mind-bogglingly complicated, but let's call it 'genes'. My
guess is that there is a combination of genes that induces the
red, and it is essentially a random variation. And, because it
is a combination, it can appear in populations of yellow ones,
and yellow ones can arise from the seed of red ones.

There's a great swathe of bluebells on the cliffs near us; a sea of
blue when in flower and the perfume is wonderful, but right in the
middle it's possible to see the very occasional pale pink one.

Replying to you and Nick, I like it VERY much that nature takes matters
into her own hands at times. I can't say I like the pink ones but I do
like that they occur in that random fashion.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com