Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default When to plant dwarf dahlia tubers in zone 4?

On 4/8/2015 12:20 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
Do they need to wait until the soil is warm, or plant as soon as it
thaws and nights are usually above freezing? Or do they need to be
started indoors in pots, then set out like tender annuals?

I almost bought a dozen bedding dahlias at Sam's Club today, but then
thought it might be too early. I know they are day-length sensitive;
that's why I've never tried starting 'em from seeds (days are long while
it's still cold up here)

Thanks,
Bob, in southern MN

Dahlias are actually tropical or towards the tropical end of
subtropical. Plant them about a month after the date of when the last
expected frost might occur.

In the fall as they die down, dig up the tubers and store them in damp
(not wet) sand, sawdust, or peat moss in a place where temperatures
might be quite cool but never freezing. Cut the stalks to about 2
inches from the tubers, but do not divide them until you are ready to
plant them again. When it is time to plant again next year, cut the
stub of the stalk vertically to separate the tubers so that each tuber
has a piece of the stalk. The new growth buds will be where the stalk
meets the tuber.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see