Old 01-03-2003, 05:54 PM
Gregory Young

Default Opinions on bead filters appreciated

I have been using the Aquadyne BF, with blower (for backwash) for 2 seasons.
Pump is only a 1/2 hp submersible in my skimmer, and it works great. Without
a blower you need a more expensive 2 speed pump.
The BF works super, and supports a high fish load.
No issues with maintenance. It's very quick and easy.
I eliminated my other filters.
Now I have the skimmer feeding the BF going to a falls.
My bottom drain goes via a dragon pump to a stream (which functions
essentially as trickle filter, based on it's design), that dumps into a bog
garden, then back into the Koi pond.
The only thing I have against BFs is their outrageous pricing. They are not
that much more complex than simple sand filters for pools (yes there is some
re-engineering), but costs are disproportionately high.
That being said, I would never go back to the previous
vortex/mechanical/biologic setup I had in the past.
Both systems get the job done, WHEN PROPERLY SETUP, but the BF involves much
less maintenance.
Happy ponding,
Greg

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
I have an Aquabead filter. So far I am very happy with it. Works
best if you have the waste line hooked up to the sewer or some other
place where you can dump 100 gallons of water at a flow rate 3-5 times
greater than a full-on garden hose. The air agitator is a must on any
brand that you get. As with any filter I agree that you should always
buy a filter with a much higher rating than you need. I can clean my
filter in only 5 minutes with no fuss or mess. Takes another 15
minutes to add the 100 gallons used in the cleaning process back into
the pond and to clean the leaf traps.

Cheers
Dave