Old 13-04-2015, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Michael Evangelista Michael Evangelista is offline

Default Chilli's

I started anaheim, jalapeno, wax peppers and a few types of red bells. The anaheim were slow and had a lower germination rate.

For peppers I think a heat source of some kind is a must. This year I got a very basic gardening heat pad and it made all the difference. I put my own 6pack containers inside the cheap trays with clear plastic lids, watered the seeds in good and kept them on the heat mat until I saw the first sprouts. Then I moved them immediately under flourescent grow lights (one warm one cool regular T3 bulb) about 1 inch above the plants, taking the cover off.. Then once the first set of full true leaves are in, start moving them outside every day and eventually into the greenhouse.

I've tried a lot of different ways to start pepper seeds and this is the way I will do it from now on. Too bad there's only one spring every year.