Old 13-04-2015, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Parkers

On 12/04/2015 20:59, David Hill wrote:
On 12/04/2015 19:21, David Hill wrote:
On 12/04/2015 10:39, stuart noble wrote:
On 12/04/2015 10:22, Broadback wrote:
On 12/04/2015 08:26, alan_m wrote:
On 08/04/2015 10:37, Pam Moore wrote:
not being able to get to garden centres much I ordered some plants
from Parkers.
They arrived yesterday (7th) having been posted on 2nd so were packed
in a box all over Easter weekend!
Some things were ok, being dry. 6 "free" pinks plugs were fine, as
also was a potted daphne, to replace my sadly deceased one.
However, 6 plugs of each of delphinium and echinacea were totally
devoid of any growth at all.
What crazy company sends out plants just before a bank holiday?
I have sent a strong complaint to Parkers.
Any one else had such a thing happen?

In previous years I've ordered plug plants form Parkers and T&M and
have
had exactly the same experience with items sent from Jersey that have
obviously been in the post a long time and some the items received
were
sent to early with insufficient growth.

This year I took a chance and ordered from Ebay (Bellshill Garden
Centre
Ebay trading as davidclyde) and received plugs in a lot better
condition
that I've ever had from the large companies. They claim that they only
ever post on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to avoid plants being stuck
in the post over the weekend.

Well I must have been fortunate as I have never had a problem with
Jersey plants, but with lots of others. If they fail to supply
quality I
will byte the bullet and spend extra for garden centre plants which I
can select.

Seems that growers can't provide a transparent container for bedding
plants that prevents them drying out. Maybe it's because moisture would
condense on the inner surface and obscure the plants they're trying to
sell.
The annual scene of devastation in supermarkets and d-i-y stores is upon
us again. Why can't someone on a zero hours contract water the bloody
plants? And I have to say the incredibly efficient Aldi are the worst
offender round here

There may be a light on the horizon.
I bought 2 5 packs of fuchsia plugs from Morrison's a couple of weeks
ago, they were set into a small tray containing a fine grade of water
retaining polymer, so they didn't need watering for probably a couple of
weeks, You could almost hear them purring.
Good for store bought plants but not for mail order.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea Bay

correction, they were 6 packs

Glad to hear that. I just hate to see whole racks of good plants going
to waste for the sake of a couple of man hours labour. Aldi reduce them
drastically but nobody wants dead plants