Old 13-04-2015, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Chilli's

George Shirley wrote:
On 4/12/2015 11:21 PM, Michael Evangelista wrote:
I started anaheim, jalapeno, wax peppers and a few types of red
bells. The anaheim were slow and had a lower germination rate. For
peppers I think a heat source of some kind is a must. This year
I got a very basic gardening heat pad and it made all the
difference. I put my own 6pack containers inside the cheap trays
with clear plastic lids, watered the seeds in good and kept them on
the heat mat until I saw the first sprouts. Then I moved them
immediately under flourescent grow lights (one warm one cool regular
T3 bulb) about 1 inch above the plants, taking the cover off. Then
once the first set of full true leaves are in, start moving them
outside every day and eventually into the greenhouse. I've tried a
lot of different ways to start pepper seeds and this is
the way I will do it from now on. Too bad there's only one spring
every year.

I used the same setup for years Michael, worked great all that time.
The shop light I used was on chains so I could raise the light
fixture as the seedlings grew. The rig was in my office and the
ceiling fan made the plants move just enough to build good stalks.
Grew sweet chiles, hot chiles, tomatoes, squash, pretty much
everything that went into the garden that needed to be started. Good
luck with your garden.
We had rain off and on from yesterday and it will probably last
through mid-afternoon here or longer. Our garden seems to be jumping
up out of the ground. I do like the rain and the nitrogen it brings
out of the air to our garden. The zucchini plants were starts and
have quadrupled in size with all the rain. Many blooms and even baby
zukes showing. All the sweet chiles, eggplant, and tomatoes are
blooming or budding and the pole beans are climbing. It's a good day
in the neighborhood.

Sounds like y'all are about 3-4 weeks ahead of us up here on the Ozark
Plateau . I just got my stuff into the ground yesterday and friday . Nothing
wilted yet ... and today we're getting a nice light soaking rain .

--
Snag