Old 13-04-2015, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Dividing Huge Hosta

John McGaw writes:

I bought a Hosta 'Blue Angel' perhaps six years ago and it has been
quite happy in a bright corner between the house and front porch. Last
Autumn I noticed that there were two stems (or perhaps trunks as this
thing is huge) and figured that I probably should divide it but I let
time go by and forgot about it. A week ago I was cleaning the dead
leaves from that corner and noted that there are now _five_ of them
coming up. One or two is really enough to fill that entire corner.

Is it too late now to think about dividing it? Will I simply cause
troubles for the original plant(s) by dividing so late?

No problem dividing now.

I've done so, spring, summer, fall.
I don't think the plant cares.

--