Old 13-04-2015, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mice infestation

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
We were away from our house for a couple of months,
and when we came back there were hundreds of mouse (or rat) droppings
in just 2 rooms.
To get into one of the rooms, the mice had to climb up a 2 metre wall.
They got into the other room through an air-hole.

I'm wondering if there is any way of stopping them climbing a wall?
It's a reasonably smooth plastered wall (outside).

Also, is there anything better than mice traps to dissuade them?
They came through a garden, and I wouldn't like to put anything down
that could harm other animals.

If a mouse is caught in a trap, does it worry the other mice?
Or will they just ignore their dead brother?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Sounds like long tailed field mice
They can climb a vertical house wall with ease and enter roof spaces, if
they get a chance they will take advantage of the house proper but generally
avoid it if occupied. most problems are over winter and often they will
leave again in summer.

House mice are different and more of a problem. both are best dealt with
with old fashioned mouse traps, set a number and keep going, you will be
surprised how many mice there will be already! I don't like poison as they
go off and die leaving you with the nasty smell of something dead but often
unable to find and remove the body!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs