Old 16-04-2015, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mice infestation

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
We were away from our house for a couple of months,
and when we came back there were hundreds of mouse (or rat) droppings
in just 2 rooms.
To get into one of the rooms, the mice had to climb up a 2 metre wall.
They got into the other room through an air-hole.

Block the airhole up with wire wool, they can't get through it.

I'm wondering if there is any way of stopping them climbing a wall?
It's a reasonably smooth plastered wall (outside).

Also, is there anything better than mice traps to dissuade them?
They came through a garden, and I wouldn't like to put anything down
that could harm other animals.

You could get a cat? I was never a cat fan until mine arrived. No mice
would have a chance in the house and he's good with young ratties around the
chicken huts.

If a mouse is caught in a trap, does it worry the other mice?
Or will they just ignore their dead brother?

I don't think mice have that sort of intelligence. If they did, once you
removed the dead one from the trap they wouldn't get caught themselves the
next day.
Never use poison.