Old 17-04-2015, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Coarse sand for cuttings

On 17/04/2015 07:40, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 16/04/15 16:30, Lintama wrote:
Saw a video on Youtube for striking semi-ripe and softwood cuttings in
coarse sand. I would have thought that there wouldn't be any nutrients
in sand. I have always used multi-purpose compost with some success.
Does anybody recommend using coarse sand and if so, can I use the kind
that builders use?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Builder's sand is not recommended as it is usually not washed and could
be dredged from the sea, so containing some salt.

Other way round I think. Builders (aka "soft") sand is normally dug out
of the ground

The sand gardeners make use of is that known as "sharp sand".

B&Q call it "soil improver"! Judging by the bits of crushed shell, that
is the one that has been dredged from the sea.

It is
somewhat coarser than builder's sand. As to the medium in which to
strike cuttings, you'll probably find each gardener has his/her own
ideas. The only plants I would try to root in pure sand would be cacti
and other succulents.

As I'm lousy at striking cuttings, I'll leave it to others to give you
some useful advice!

The drainage of soft sand is not very good at all, so not a good choice
for cuttings etc