Old 17-04-2015, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coarse sand for cuttings

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
On 17/04/2015 07:40, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 16/04/15 16:30, Lintama wrote:
Saw a video on Youtube for striking semi-ripe and softwood cuttings in
coarse sand. I would have thought that there wouldn't be any nutrients
in sand. I have always used multi-purpose compost with some success.
Does anybody recommend using coarse sand and if so, can I use the kind
that builders use?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Builder's sand is not recommended as it is usually not washed and could
be dredged from the sea, so containing some salt.

Other way round I think. Builders (aka "soft") sand is normally dug out
of the ground

Both are, and paying garden centre prices for it is insane. You
want sharp sand, as used by builders. It is vanishingly unlikely
to contain salt, as that interferes with several building uses
but, if you are concerned, then just wash it! That's not a bad
idea, anyway, because it sharpens it still further. Just put
some in a bucket, half fill with water, swill vigorously, and
pour most of the water out while it is still rotating. The very
small particles will come out in the water and the larger ones
will remain.

You can go further. Having done that, you can dry it, and sieve
it through an old (medium fine) kitchen sieve. The sieved material
is fine sand, suitable for filling between paving slabs etc., and
the coarse is sharp sand and grit, ideal for cuttings and things
that need very good drainage. I have done that, and filled up a
couple of old Snowcem drums with the sands.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.