Old 17-04-2015, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coarse sand for cuttings

In article ,
Lintama wrote:

Brilliant. I think I have already got some sharp sand. I also have a
bag of grit so if I mix the two 50/50, I should be ready to go. Maybe
wash the sand first though.
That's great help. Thank you.

No problem. That makes a good mixture.

Just another question...why is sharp sand called 'sharp'. I have always
wondered about this. I understand coarse sand as it would be just that
with bits of small stones in it but is there a sand that is called
'fine' or is that what sharp sand is?

Yes, there is a fine sand - used for filling cracks and so on. The
OED says that it is derived from the sand having sharp points.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.