Old 17-04-2015, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FrankB FrankB is offline

Default Parkers

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 04:18:45 +0100, "FrankB"
wrote:

I mentioned here about Parkers some 15 months ago when I ordered a 15

bare
root roses from them. About 1/3 of them had to be returned because of

poor
quality. They duly obliged by replacing them. Later it turned out that

they
had sent some wrong varieties, but I let it drop as I couldn't be

bothered
to raise further complaints with them. Funny thing is that everyone on

here
at the time said how good Parkers were and that they had never

experienced
any problems with them. Not long after this on another forum, somebody

else
started a thread on Parkers and that they too had bad experiences. There
were several responses, all of them negative experiences.

So I think I can now safely say....they are a crap mail order firm. Don't
waste your time or money.

parkers have replied to my complaint.
They say the plants are sent out "dormant" but how can small plug
plants of delphiniums and echinacea be dormant? I think the echinacea
will survive(there is a sign of growth) but the delphiniums are
totally without growth and for the compost bin!
They say I have a guarantee till mid August. I expect they hope people
will have forgotten their non-existant plants by then!

Quite honestly, buying plug plants by mail order is risky as it doesn't take
much to kill very small plants. And if they are already half dead before
they've even been packaged you stand little chance of success. It may cost a
bit more to buy plants at your local nursery or garden centre, but then you
see what you are buying and my local nursery is generally very good value
and sells quality plants (eg 1 Blue Skies Delphinium £1.89 - grown in 1
litre pot)