Old 17-04-2015, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Coarse sand for cuttings

On 17/04/2015 18:09, David Hill wrote:
On 17/04/2015 10:32, philgurr wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 17/04/2015 07:40, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 16/04/15 16:30, Lintama wrote:
Saw a video on Youtube for striking semi-ripe and softwood cuttings in
coarse sand. I would have thought that there wouldn't be any
nutrients
in sand. I have always used multi-purpose compost with some success.
Does anybody recommend using coarse sand and if so, can I use the kind
that builders use?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Builder's sand is not recommended as it is usually not washed and could
be dredged from the sea, so containing some salt.

Other way round I think. Builders (aka "soft") sand is normally dug
out of the ground

The sand gardeners make use of is that known as "sharp sand".

B&Q call it "soil improver"! Judging by the bits of crushed shell,
that is the one that
has been dredged from the sea.

It is
somewhat coarser than builder's sand. As to the medium in which to
strike cuttings, you'll probably find each gardener has his/her own
ideas. The only plants I would try to root in pure sand would be cacti
and other succulents.

B&Q can call it what they like, but there are precise definitions of
'sharp'
and 'soft' sand. Sharp sand is usually found in river systems where the
time for abrading the edges of the sand/grit particles is limited. 'Soft'
sand is usually found in marine environments with prolonged exposure
to the rounding of the grains - any sandy beach will illustrate this.
The best 'sharp' sand that I ever found was from a gravel pit in
Walton-on-Thames. They would crush the river gravel to make a
'sharp' sand that was like a myriad of tiny razor blades.

Phil

Here at the side of Swansea bay we can get a nice coarse Concreting
sand, dredged from a bed off Ilfracombe I believe (Bristol Channel)
Years ago when we lived outside Hastings we used to get "Rye Harbour
Grit" this was a crushed flint.
I seem to remember years ago going to Croyde Bay in Devon a fair way up
the beach was a great band of coarse sand, well more crushed shell than
anything else, would have been great in compost.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea Bay

The soft (builders) sand we get here in SE has a minute particle size,
and washing it yields yellow ochre, some of which is so fine it takes
several hours to settle. Only for bricklaying, and of no use to gardeners.