Old 18-04-2015, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can I get tomato plants from seeds of store-bought tomatoes?

On 4/18/2015 8:20 AM, wrote:
We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket. If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually getting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the seeds likely to be infertile because the tomatoes are some sort of hybrid?

The seeds are indeed viable. My mother would use the seeds from cherry
tomatoes to get tomato plants in a large flower pot on the balcony of
her apartment.

However, many tomato varieties are indeed hybrids. While that does not
prevent the seeds from being viable, it does mean that the tomatoes you
get from the seedlings might not be the same as the tomatoes that
produced the seeds.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see