Old 19-04-2015, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Can I get tomato plants from seeds of store-bought tomatoes?

On 19/04/2015 5:11 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 10:20:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket. If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually getting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the seeds likely to be infertile because the tomatoes are some sort of hybrid?

Do I have to dry them for some period of time before planting??

No. Saving tomato seed is very easy. The way to save tomato seed is to
scoop the seeds into a glass or jar and add a bit of water to cover
them. Let them sit on the kitchen bench for a couple of day then the
pour the seeds and water into a sieve and run cold water over them and
most of the sticky residue will rinse off. Dry on some paper towel and
then tear of bits of the paper towel adn plant the seeds and paper et
Viola! New tomatoes.