Old 19-04-2015, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Can I get tomato plants from seeds of store-bought tomatoes?

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 08:20:21 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

We had some very delicious cherry tomatoes from our local supermarket. If we plant the seeds from those tomatoes, what are the chances of actually getting some of the seeds to sprout, or are the seeds likely to be infertile because the tomatoes are some sort of hybrid?

Oh, indeed, they can sprout and grow, but unpredictably so in both
viability and breeding true.

I am a devoted composter and have gotten great "volunteers" from the
winter's store-bought tomato leavings that have contained seeds in
what has gotten spread on beds come spring.

Boron