Old 21-04-2015, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default A bit damp here

John McGaw wrote:
I am just about to plant my winter seedlings, mostly brassicas.

That will have to wait for a while since we had 90mm (3 1/2 in) of
rain over night. There has been much more nearer the coast, over
200mm (8in) at one place. The river is up about 12m (40ft) and the
outflow of my dam is running backwards, that is the dam is filling
(well over-filling) from the river. The soil will be rather too wet
for a few days at least. I will not be going anywhere today as the road
will be cut. How
long that remains depends on how much more rain falls today.

Breaking news! A bunch of campers were marooned on the roof of
buildings at the showground of a town near here and two were missing
for a while but appear to have been found. Details are dodgy.

Given the usual drought problems it would be wonderful to be able to
store all of that water until it is needed in the dry season. It
don't rain but it pours.

I can store it in a way. When it comes slowly it soaks into the clay
subsoil and lasts for months but not overnight.

We were hit by a sudden sky-ripping storm last night. Looked quite
innocuous on the radar map, narrow and fast-moving, but my area must
have experienced a micro burst taking down and breaking large trees
and the power went out at 21:05. It came back for me at 02:30 but
some folks up the road didn't get it back until 10:00. Wouldn't
normally care much and I'm used to it after 16 years but now I have
my elderly mom living here and being in pitch darkness combined with
disorientation is not a good combination. Just as the dawn chorus was
starting this morning we had an instant replay of the storm but at
least the power didn't go out again. No campers on the roof -- they
would have probably been blown away.

The rain has stopped now but the water has risen another 2 m (6ft), part of
my irrigation that I thought was safe has gone. Mybe i will find it hung on
a fence downstream, maybe not.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their