Old 21-04-2015, 09:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default A bit damp here

David Hare-Scott wrote:
John McGaw wrote:
I am just about to plant my winter seedlings, mostly brassicas.

That will have to wait for a while since we had 90mm (3 1/2 in) of
rain over night. There has been much more nearer the coast, over
200mm (8in) at one place. The river is up about 12m (40ft) and the
outflow of my dam is running backwards, that is the dam is filling
(well over-filling) from the river. The soil will be rather too wet
for a few days at least. I will not be going anywhere today as the
road will be cut. How
long that remains depends on how much more rain falls today.

Breaking news! A bunch of campers were marooned on the roof of
buildings at the showground of a town near here and two were missing
for a while but appear to have been found. Details are dodgy.

The rain has stopped now but the water has risen another 2 m (6ft),
part of my irrigation that I thought was safe has gone. Mybe i will
find it hung on a fence downstream, maybe not.

The river is nearly back in its bank at my place and I can get out now, it
probably peaked at about 16m (50ft). This sounds dangerous but it is not a
problem here as i didn't build on the flood plain and I don't have big trees
near the house.

It was much worse in some places, up to 400mm (16in) fell. And some old
towns are built on the floof plain. Whole houses went down the street and
people died in a town 40km away. Hundreds of homes were damaged and many
thousands are without power due to falling trees nearby (some people never
learn) and roofs being ripped off by wind.

At the camping ground enough water went through to have people swimming for
their lives and at risk of being taken, apparently they all survived. One
building was moved from one side of the rodeo area to the other.

It isn't over yet on the weather radar I have two storms converging on me,
never seen that before. The cabbages are on hold.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy