Old 22-04-2015, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] eastman5063@gmail.com is offline

Default Chimayo chile in chimayo?

If you're familiar with Chimayo chile perhaps you can help. I have grown these from seed given me by people in Chimayo, New Mexico. It is very hot and the sauce it makes is almost orange in color. The ground powder looks like the 'Chimayo Heritage' chile sold at the vigil store there.

But you can also buy 'Chimayo chile' that produces a dark red sauce that has the same fruity, tea-like tannin flavor, more complexity but not as much heat. The vigil store has that too, so does the store across the road and Leona's tamale stand by the church. I don't think it's the same cultivar. Does anyone here know what it might be? I read once there was a variety grown that was more consistent the the original Chimayo chile but can no longer find any reference.

Grateful for any help.