Old 23-04-2015, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Can I get tomato plants from seeds of store-bought tomatoes?

Boron Elgar wrote:
I am a devoted composter and have gotten great "volunteers" from the
winter's store-bought tomato leavings that have contained seeds in
what has gotten spread on beds come spring.

what kind of season do you have? it seems
that ours is too short for most volunteers to
do much.

if i were going to grow a lot of different
OP and heirloom varieties i think that would
be more interesting and have a better chance
of getting decent results, but i've been banned
from trying other varieties now. we have too
many tomatoes in storage ATM so it is likely
we're skipping a major planting of tomatoes
this year and will just put in a few cherry
tomato plants.

as for diseases, our location seems to favor
certain types of late season blight, but if we
can get a crop through the mid-summer it doesn't
matter what the blight does. it doesn't ruin
the fruit. last season was unusual for us in
that the disease took 90% of the crop just in
the last few weeks of ripening. greenhouse
people said it was last seen in this area 80
years ago. likely weather and growing medium
related, but hard to prove without a lab to do
the work and ways to trace things...

songbird