Old 23-04-2015, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Can I get tomato plants from seeds of store-bought tomatoes?

Boron Elgar wrote:
songbird wrote:

as for diseases, our location seems to favor
certain types of late season blight, but if we
can get a crop through the mid-summer it doesn't
matter what the blight does. it doesn't ruin
the fruit. last season was unusual for us in
that the disease took 90% of the crop just in
the last few weeks of ripening. greenhouse
people said it was last seen in this area 80
years ago. likely weather and growing medium
related, but hard to prove without a lab to do
the work and ways to trace things...

I have gotten blight or other fungal problems with tomatoes at times.
I gave up on rotation planting, as that did not seem to solve the
problem. I think weather is a big contributing factor with my
disorders, none of them too serious. I also grow in large tubs on the
deck, where there is no crowding. That doesn't eliminate the problems,
either, but I have never had huge losses.

Fungus with nightshades is a result of wet leaves over night. When
needed water in the AM and not the plant, water the ground only...
tomatoes are best watered with buried soaker hoses, never overhead
watering. Tomatoes also benefit from good aeration, do not crowd. I'm
fortunate in that my vegetable garden is situated alongside a small
natural spring, I plant tomatoes closest to the spring, I never need
to water as that ground is always ideally moist.