Old 24-04-2015, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Can I get tomato plants from seeds of store-bought tomatoes?

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:10:13 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
Thought you, and, perhaps others here, might find this interesting. I
am not sure how well it works with all tomato varieties and climates,
but it intrigues me.

http://www.veggiegardener.com/reduce...ming-tomatoes/

there's nothing wrong with trying something out
to see how it goes. i do know that when i've watered
the tomatoes too much they do taste watered down.

a normal tomato crop here is 20-40lbs per plant
for the beefsteaks and probably 10-20lbs of cherry
tomatoes per plant.

songbird

I find a measure of unpredictability and variability, even when I have
grown the same varieties over several seasons.

I see this in many of the kitchen garden crops, though. It is not
unique to tomatoes. Some year I get a lot more of a particular bean
variety, or huge broccoli, or more cukes than I can shake a stick at
and another year even a tried and true favorite may do poorly.

Obviously, one can only "control" for so much in these observations,
as my garden is outdoors and subject to the elements, but I still love
to try to outsmart the critters, the bugs, the weather and the rain
each season.