Old 24-04-2015, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Rain again

Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

bok choy would be nice,
but i'll have to get seeds. haven't seen them around
in the racks yet. i would like to get both cilantro
and large leafed parsley going too.

Ping me offline with a mailing address, my reply-to is good . I'll send
you some bok choy seeds . Would you like some Zucchini , okra , pumpkin ,
acorn squash , or Kentucky Wonder pole beans too ? I'm a compulsive seed
saver . may have other stuff you'd like , just ask !

thanks Terry, if i have a problem sourcing them
locally i'll let you know. ATM i don't need any
other seeds besides the bok choy. like you, i'm
a seed saver too if i get a chance. i have a lot
of old seeds for wildflowers i need to put around
to use them up and perhaps some will still be
viable... no more climbers for bean seeds, i don't
have the fence space for them... too many bean
varieties already. funny, but Ma said that she
liked a batch of beans i made a few weeks ago that
included the dry edamame soybeans (which to me are
fairly flavorless like any other soybean). i made
a small pot of lima beans this morning.

I have my tomatoes all in the ground now , and have pumpkins , acorn
squash and green beans coming up . Strawberries are going nuts ,
garlic and last years green onions doing well .

what type of green onions do you have going?

These are a bunching onion bought at the local farm supply co-op by the
pound . Very good onions for salads and cooking . The ones I'm harvesting
now were planted last year .

ah, thanks, don't see those around here, but
perhaps i just don't look in the right places yet.

hope your strawberries do well, they are such a
treat. my sister called the other day because she
was so happy to have found a jar in the back of her
freezer from last summer.

I put these berries in last spring and pinched the blossoms . My 14
original plants are now about 10x that , and they're loaded with blossoms
and developing fruit .

yeah, they do that. i love 'em and could eat
them every day if they'd stay in season all year. i'm
going to continue expanding their patches here as the
older patches now need to be renovated or recycled into
some other planting. if anything when they get too
thick the ones i don't transplant work ok as organic
material to be buried. the worms aren't too fussy...

The spinach , lettuce , and bok choy are
growing , but something is nibbling on the bok choy . Grasshoppers ,
I think - can't decide whether BT or DE is the proper choice for
control . I'm still looking for signs of growth from the cucumbers
... I have some peppers in the hotbox , plan to wait a couple more
weeks for warmer weather to put them in the garden .

i keep counting the days... indoor chores
will keep me as busy as i want to be until then.

My main indoor chore is doing all the cooking here since she works . I
have plenty to keep me busy outdoors though , no matter what season .

the weather is nice enough this afternoon i'll get
outside for a while. the catbirds are back at last -
they are good company for gardening, always make me
smile and laugh at their calls.

songbird