Old 25-04-2015, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Can I get tomato plants from seeds of store-bought tomatoes?

Boron Elgar wrote:
I find a measure of unpredictability and variability, even when I have
grown the same varieties over several seasons.

well sure, but after ten years of growing
them you should have some idea of which kinds
will produce.

I see this in many of the kitchen garden crops, though. It is not
unique to tomatoes. Some year I get a lot more of a particular bean
variety, or huge broccoli, or more cukes than I can shake a stick at
and another year even a tried and true favorite may do poorly.

yeah, last year a lot of our crops were eaten by
animals and the weather wasn't very sunny. that
along with the rot in the tomatoes meant a pretty
varied and lower harvest of a lot of things than
all of our other years. still, we had enough of
some things and more than we could eat of others.

Obviously, one can only "control" for so much in these observations,
as my garden is outdoors and subject to the elements, but I still love
to try to outsmart the critters, the bugs, the weather and the rain
each season.

sure, it helps to plant a diversity of crops if
you have the space for it. it also helps to have
different soils to try things in.

i'm enjoying things too, it's a lot more fun than
many other things and i like the schedule. part-time
and when i want to, leaves time for reading during
the winter and best of all the boss, once in a while,
actually listens to me...

songbird