Old 27-04-2015, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Dandelions

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

My grass patch (I hesitate to call it a lawn ) is covered
this year with dandelions, which seem to have bedded themselves
down into the turf t below the level of the grass. This means
that they survive the fairly high mowing that I do at this time
of the year, although I do get the flowers mostly.

Anyone come across this, and apart from digging them out or
weed killers how can I stop it? I do not mind a few in amongst
all the other weeds and the occasional grass, but this year
they seem to have gone mad!

I use an old large screwdriver with the blade sharpened and push that down
to cut the roots well down so I can pull the whole plant up. That way no
disturbance to the grass except improved airation.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.