Old 28-04-2015, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Fruitless Mulberry seeds

In article
"Lord Bergamot" writes:

These fruitless Mulberry trees have always made seed tassels that
are lite and easily blow away to germinate many places around the
yard.

Those are not seeds. Those are flowers.

Mulberries produce berries, quite popular with birds and seeded
whereever they poop. The berries can be seen in a google image
search on "mulberry," or "mulberry flowers" for the flowers.

This is assuming you are talking about the trees known in the US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morus_%28plant%29

There appears (from search results) to ba a UK use of "mulberry"
that refers to a flower that looks nothing like that.

Personally, I am fond of mulberries, but they are considered an
invasive exotic in some places.

Two seedlings came up in raised beds, several years ago. Last year I
transplanted them into buckets for later transplanting. Today I noticed one had some small spiky seed
looking things. I've never seen this type of seed before.

Is this unusual?

Why are these seeds different?

Are these actually seeds?

If they are seeds I'll try germinating them.
--
:-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

My God is better than your god!!!!

--
Drew Lawson | And to those who lack the courage