Old 28-04-2015, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default A bit damp here

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:24:26 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 12:25:41 +1200
"~misfit~" wrote:

snip
My biggest problem when there's lots and lots of rain is all of that water
leeching the goodness out of the containers I grow dwarf fruit trees in. I
try to get out between the worst of it and suck the water out of the
'saucers' and put it into a barrel. I use a 250ml 'syringe' that is branded
'Masport' was sold for removing oil from a lawnmower engine (and is no loger
available new) to do the job. However it's plunger isn't completely
water-tight (designed to work in oil) so would love ideas on what else I
could use - preferably 500ml or more per 'suck' but I'll consider anything.

Can you get/find anything like this in your Country?

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

I've got a similar version (paid much, much more from a Marine
Supplier) that has worked good to suck the oil from the differentials
on my truck, along with the power steering pump.

Seems to me it would make a lot more sense during rainy periods to
move those potted plants to an area protected from rain... harbor
freight sells tarps too, also heavy duty dollies very inexpensively,
so does Northerntool.com... an ounce of prevention. Also I would
definitely drill a weep hole in those saucers... and if concerned
about nutrients it's not difficult to collect that drained water with
an inexpensive plastic pan, litter pans for kittens are purrfect and
cost about a buck.