Old 29-04-2015, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default planting a tree

herb white wrote:

I recently purchased an autumn blaze maple tree about 6 feet tall.
I would like any info on how to plant it. Thanks for any reply

Six feet tall is not a tree yet, hardly a sapling, more in the
seedling range, so if you live where deer live the most important
thing is to protect it from being eaten, deer love young maple, so do
rabbits (they'll girdle its bark), even squirrels will eat the twig
ends... I'd wrap the trunk loosely, tape a tube of tarpaper an inch
larger than the trunk diameter, and fence with metal stakes and
chicken wire, leaving enough space under the wire to pass a lawnmower,
and/or weed by hand... you'll need the fence for a good 6-7 years so
don't skimp on materials. Dig a hole twice the diameter of the the
root ball and six inches deeper, then place good top soil back to
raise the root ball a good two inches higher than it was planted (it
will settle). Place good soil around the root ball but do not stomp
it in, leave it loose, allow it to settle naturally and add a bit more
soil later as needed. Water well and then once a week, do not over
water, keeping it wet will drown the tree, slightly moist is better
than wet. Mix in a little natural compost but I'd add no fertilizer,
and definitely not the first year... you want the roots to reach out
and seek their own nutrients. It'll be a good ten years before you
have the beginnings of an actual tree, and about 30-40 years before
it's a beauty, so I hope you're fairly young to have planted a
seedling. I never add fertilizer, the critters add the perfect
quantity and blend... the deer keep the lower portion perfectly
pruned. Oh, and be sure to plant your Autumn Blaze so there is
nothing above it, like utility wires, and it needs plenty of space to
achieve its full form. Autumn Blaze is a gorgeous tree, especially in
full fall foliage.
Here's mine in summer:
http://i61.tinypic.com/29f5ij8.jpg
In full fall foliage: